Having you own website is a matter of pride. However, it isn’t easy to maintain your business website. In the ever changing world today, there are millions of new things which are introduced every second. It is, thus essential to keep you website up-to-date. But, how can we do it? Well, a simple solution is to conduct a basic SEO audit on your own at least twice a year.
SEO stands here for search engine optimisation. To understand it better, let us first find out what exactly is SEO audit? It is basically a process to evaluate the friendliness of the search engine with the website in many areas. It is necessary to do a SEO audit as:
- It finds out about the problematic areas in the website.
- It helps in correcting those problems in time and thus helps in keeping your website up-to-date.
SEO audit can either be done by oneself using a guide or can be done by hiring a professional. The cost for which won’t be much. There is a checklist of things that needs to be checked while auditing. This checklist is spread across six different factors which we will discuss in the text below.
- Page Titles, descriptions and URL’S: This can also be termed as on-site SEO. Most of the audits cover this part only. However, if we cover the areas as well, we can simply be tension-free and work on other aspects of our work.
- Titles: It is important to note that the page title is less than 70 characters. Moreover, we also need to see if the page title clearly tells us about the nature of business or not. Thirdly, we should also check if the title uses the right keywords or not. If any of the above criteria don’t match, then there is a problem which needs to be fixed soon.
- Description: The checklist for description is same as title except that it should be less than 145-155 characters.
- URL: To ensure that the URL your website has is good, you should analyse that it includes keywords though not too many. Secondly, it should use hyphens to separate keywords. Thirdly, it has to be unique for each page and it has to be less than 255 characters including the domain name. It should also be informative. We also need to check if it is https or http. Other things which should be checked are if any caps are used, if any unconventional characters are used or not.
- Consistency, relevancy and content quality: It is important to have the content presented in an impressive and a straightforward manner. If the content is not relevant to what your website is all about then it will leave the customers confused. It is thus, necessary to have a quality content which is relevant as well as well organised. It is thus important to check that there is a constant use of keywords across the website so that the idea is reinforced on every page. Secondly, the content on the website should relevant to the industry, product or service and should make the customer interested in your website. It should be so clear and impressive that the reader ends up sharing it with others too. Finally, although using keywords is good for your website but that doesn’t mean that you overuse them. They should be used selectively and not compulsively. Additionally, the content has to be unique for your website and should be free of any grammatical or spelling mistakes.
- Structure of the site and the index ability: A good website is the one which is very well organised and is inter-linked. Inter-linking ensures a smooth and quick surfing of the website by the search engines as well as the customers. It has to be made sure that the posts, pages or any other information in mapped properly on the website. It is done to ensure that it doesn’t confuse the customers and the information is mapped at the right place. Moreover, it is advisable to have a clear site map for your website which can be used to navigate and explore the site. You can also use images to put forth the idea more straightforwardly which will develop and maintain the customers’ interest. If there are any broken links in the website, they should be fixed immediately in order to provide quick and complete information. For looking for broken tools, various tools are available on the site which can be used. Once they are detected, they can either be deleted or can be redirected to a valid URL.
- Page speed: This is one of the most important but difficult things to maintain on the website especially for non-technical users. It has been proven a million times that the page speed can affect your conversion rates and rankings both. The page speed should be faster than the competitors and for the same many tools are available on Google which can be used. You can ensure a fast page speed by doing the following:
- You can either use a CDN or compress images.
- Reduce the size of CSS and HTML.
- User experience: It is our responsibility to provide the best service to our customers and ensure that they always experience the best. To ensure that this happens, it is important to have a clear, well-structured site. It is also necessary to remove the broken links from your website. Moreover, you can be assured of the best experience for the users if they can find what they are looking in less than 3 clicks.
- Content quantity and diversity: Content is one of the most important things on the website that can draw the user’s attention in just a fraction of seconds. Hence, it has to be as per the page size. It should neither look less nor more than required for the page. Moreover, there has to be a good text to code ratio. If either of them is more, it will leave the website look weird and unattractive.
After reading the above text, I am sure it is evident that we don’t always need professionals to handle our work. If we become a little more vigilant and pay attention to the minutest detail on our website, we can make it the most liked by everyone. We don’t always need pro tools for auditing the website. We just need to be aware of what and where to look.
Take a look at the infographic below created by Captaim for some more useful tips.
(Click to enlarge infographic)
Article created by: DCP Web Designs London